Monday, September 6, 2010

Heat | The café scene




Seven years in Folsom.
In the hole for three.
McNeil before that.
McNeil as tough as they say?
You're looking to become a penologist?
You're looking to go back?
You know I chased down some crews, guys were just looking to fuck up, got busted back.
That you?
You must've worked some dipshit crews.
I worked all kinds.
You see me doing thrill-seeker liquor store holdups
with a 'Born to Lose' tattoo on my chest?
No, I do not.
Right.
I am never going back.
Then don't take down scores.
I do what I do best. I take scores.
You do what you do best. Try to stop guys like me.
So, you never wanted a regular type life?
What the fuck is that? Barbecues and ball games?
Yeah!!
This regular type that your life?
My life? No, my life....
My life's a disaster zone.
I got a stepdaughter so fucked up
Because her real father is this largetype asshole.
I got a wife.
We're passing each other on the down slope of a marriage.
My third.
Because I spend all my time chasing guys like you around the block.
That's my life.
A guy told me one time:
“Don't let yourself get attached
To anything you are not willing to walk out on
In 30 seconds flat
If you feel the heat around the corner.”
Now, if you're on me
And you got to move when I move
How do you expect to keep a marriage?
That's an interesting point.
What are you, a monk?
I have a woman.
What do you tell her?
I tell her I'm a salesman.
So, if you spot me coming around that corner
You're just gonna walk out on this woman?
Not say goodbye?
That's the discipline.
That's pretty vacant.
Yeah, it is what it is.
It's that or we both better go do something else, pump.
I don't know how to do anything else.
Neither do I.
I don't want much to either.
Neither do I.
You know, I have this recurring dream.
I'm sitting at this big banquet table
And all of victims of all the murders I ever worked are sitting there
And they're staring at me with these black eyeballs
Because they got eightball hemorrhages from the head wounds.
And there they are, these big balloon people
Because I found them two weeks after they'd been under the bed.
The neighbors reported the smell
And there they are
All just sitting there.
What do they say?
Nothing.
No talk?
No, just, they have nothing to say.
We just look at each other.
They look at me
And that's it. That's the dream.
I have one where I'm drowning.
And I gotta wake myself up and start breathing
Or I'll die in my sleep.
You know that's about?
Yeah, having enough time.
Enough time
To do what you want to do?
That's right.
You doing it now?
No, not yet.
You know, we're sitting here
You and I like a couple of regular fellas.
You do what you do,
I do what I gotta do.
And now that we've been face to face
If I'm there and I gotta put you away,
I won't like it.
But, I tell you
If it's between you
And some poor bastard
Whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow,
Brother,
You are going down.
There's a flip side to that coin.
What if you do got me boxed in
And I gotta put you down?
Because no matter what
You will not get my way.
We've been face to face, yeah.
But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Maybe I swear it'll be.
Or...
Who knows?
Well, maybe we'll never see each other again.






No comments: